We offer many different flea and tick products to help in any situation. We often have specials running to help save you what we can.
1) Frontline Plus is the most common product that helps prevent fleas and ticks. It needs to be started before you have a flea or tick infestation because it takes 24-48 hours to kill the fleas and ticks. The trick is to start it early in the season and to make sure you give it monthly. Because it is a topical medication, it needs to be applied to a dry dog, and the dog MUST not have had a bath in the last 48 hours. Furthermore, the dog should not be bathed 48 hours after the treatment, and if you bathe after that, you need to use a soap and detergent free shampoo so it does not wash the Frontline Plus off.
It is safe to use in breeding or pregnant animals, and for puppies and kittens 8 weeks and older.
Frontline Plus rules:
- No baths 48 hours before or after applying.
- Part the hair between the back of the skull to shoulder blades (You do not want an agile cat or dog to be able to turn their heads around and lick at it). Apply the liquid DIRECTLY to the skin- get a helper if you have a wiggly pet.
- Reapply monthly. Use your calender or new smartphone apps to help remind you. I like to choose an "easy to remember" day like the 1st or the 15th. For dogs- remember to give their heartworm prevention at the same time.
2) Advantix is another monthly flea and tick medication. It uses a different type of insecticide, so some owners that felt that the Frontline Plus was not working as effectively sometimes find that the switch to Advantix helped them. It also uses a Permethrin which helps to repel ticks for about 2 weeks. Permethrin are TOXIC to cats. This is a DOG ONLY product. We do not carry Advantage (a flea only product).
3)Comfortis is an ORAL flea medication. This is a product that can be given to both cats and dogs. It starts to kill fleas in 1 hour and so it is one of the fastest killing flea medications. We recommend it for dogs and cats dealing with flea-bite allergies. It needs to be given with meal, it can be irritating to the stomach if given without a meal.
4)Nexgard is an ORAL flea and tick medication. This is a DOG ONLY product. It is very effective for killing fleas and ticks in less than 24 hours.
5) Seresto Collar. Kills fleas and ticks for 8 months!!!